There's 2 keys to success in the personal training business. First of all, you've got to stay relaxed. Do you nap?
I don't want to, that's not why I do it, I do it because I need to! Think about it, your dealing with reps, sets, rest periods and weights all day long. This is not a tip, this is a prescription. Trust me, if you don't, you will fall out of balance. Split your differential and tip the f*ck over. Or worse yet, I've seen this happen, implode!
All jokes aside, if done correctly, napping can really help your body's health, recovery and performance. Especially if you work shifts or long hours (like that of a personal trainer!) here's 5 tips and benefits of a good nap...
- napping can improve altertness and reduce mistakes and accidents. A study at NASA showed improved performance on military pilots by up to 34% after a 40 minute nap.
- a nap of 20-30 mins is recommended. Any longer and it could interfere with normal sleep patterns and cause sleep interia. Which will leave you feeling groggy and disorientated for hours after your nap.
- napping has psychological benefits. It can provide a quick hit of relaxation.
- for a quality nap make sure you have a quiet, comfortable area. Where you are unlikely to be disturbed.
- a nap could help speed up recovery from exercise.
....and when you get really good at it, you'll be napping and planning your next PT session!